House plants are a great addition to your home for many reasons. I've put together a list of just 5 of the many reasons that should encourage you to add some plants to your interior decor.
1. Plants take in and filter polluted indoor air. All plants do this, but if your looking for a top performer then look to a Chrysanthemum or Peace Lily. According to the Nasa Clean Air Study these two are at the top of the list. Plus both will flower for you which, in my opinion, is an added benefit.
2. Indoor plants increase humidity levels. This is especially nice in a dry winter home. A great natural helper for dry skin.
3. House plants give off oxygen and take in carbon dioxide
4. Research shows that living with plants can lead to a reduction in stress. They promote a general sense of well-being and increased happiness.
5. Improved sleep is another benefit. This goes back to plants giving off oxygen. But at night many plants reverse that and will take in oxygen. For your bedroom you should choose one of the plants that are know to only take in carbon dioxide and give off oxygen at night. The Gerbera daisy is a good choice for the bedroom.
But what do you do if you just can't keep plants alive? What if there is no hint of green in your thumb? One solution is to include pictures of plants in your home. While the photos won't improve the air quality, they still have some positive benefits.
Research indicates that photos of plants, flowers and nature in general can increase your feeling of well being. Patients in hospital rooms that have pictures of nature on the walls are shown to improve faster than when in a room with bare walls. Just having the photos in your decor can give you that overall sense of happiness and well-being.
Do you already have plants in your home? Do you agree that there are health benefits to house plants?
Hi. I am Cheryl of Cheryl Day Photography. Stay tuned for my regular blog posts to keep you updated on what I am doing.